This bronze seal matrix was found in a field in Dornoch. The design in the centre is a chalice flanked by two candles with the hand of God descending from above and the legend around the circumference reads "S.IACOBI. CAPELLANI DE.DORNAT" which translated means "James, Chaplain of Dornoch".
The matrix probably dates to the 13th -14th century and so was in use during the early years of Dornoch Cathedral which was built between 1224 and 1239. The matrix is lucky to have survived as normally a seal matrix was destroyed on the death of its owner to prevent any possible misuse. Presumably this one was lost by Chaplain James during his lifetime.