Lough Erne and her sister Lough Melvin were the last steam locomotives built for an Irish 5'3" gauge railway. They were built by Beyer, Peacock in 1949 for the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway. The railway network had incredible impact on the lives of people in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. In the early twentieth century the local railway station was the gateway to the wider world. The railways stimulated exports with other parts of the world, encouraged people to go on seaside holidays and brought in a greater variety of goods to the shops. The Lough Erne Nameplate is currently on loan to Headhunters Railway Museum from the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland.