On removing a plaster ceiling at a cottage at Robin Hood's Bay, North Yorkshire, two floor joists were found, one carved with 'Elizabeth Jan' and the other 'Ipswich'. Subsequent research found that these timbers were the Name-board and Registration board of the Nova Scotian brig Elizabeth Jane, built in 1817 at Guysborough and, according to her Ipswich registration documents: 'Lost off the coast of Yorkshire July 9th 1854'. These boards are currently the only known evidence of a vessel being built into a domestic building. The recent on-line publication of 19th Century newspapers has helped complete some parts of the Elizabeth Jane's story. We now know that after spending the late winter of 1854 on rocks at Newbiggin on Sea, she returned to Ipswich in a 'leaky state'. However, she was soon at sea to collect coal from Sunderland. On July 8th 1854, on her return journey to Ipswich, she sprang a leak four miles off Whitby and was abandoned off Robin Hood's Bay. Captain Archer and his crew were rescued by a Grimsby vessel called the Samuel and were set down at Bridlington Quay. Research has brough the author into contact with descendants of the first owners of the Elizabeth Jane.