The Bristol Fighter was designed in 1916 as a replacement for the B.E. two-seaters. It proved an excellent fighting machine when flown in the aggressive manner of a single-seater. By the end of the war the type had been used for offensive patrols, photographic reconnaissance, escort fighting and ground attacks.
Having shown such versatility during the war it was one of the designs chosen by Hugh Trenchard to equip the peacetime Royal Air Force. Despite increasing age the Bristol Fighter soldiered on until 1932.
This particular example has been re-built to represent the aircraft flown by Captain W.F.J. Harvey and Captain D.E. Waight, No.22 Squadron, from Agincourt on 1 July 1918. The aircraft was modified, by the squadron, to take an extra Lewis machine gun on the centre section of the top mainplane.