HM Telegraph Ship "Monarch" was built in 1945 to lay telegraph cables under the sea. She was needed to replace the previous "Monarch" which had been sunk by a mine off Southwold in the same year with the loss of three men.
Both the ship herself and the model were built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Ltd at the Neptune Works, Newcastle upon Tyne.
The quality of the model and the presentation case say much about the pride of the company that built it and the importance of cable ships to worldwide communication. Long before the arrival of the internet and fibre-optic cables, telegraph cables crossed the globe making fast international communication possible. Never had this been so important as during World War 2.