This harmonium was presented by the people of Christchurch, New Zealand to the British National Antarctic Expedition of 1901-04 for use on board the Dundee-built "Discovery". This expedition was the first extensive scientific exploration of the Antarctic land mass under the leadership of Captain Robert Falcon Scott.
It was through the earnest efforts of the Rt. Rev. Bishop Harper, Anglican Bishop of Christchurch, the editor of the Lyttelton Times, that the funds were raised to procure the organ. This model was patented in 1887 and was made by Wilcox & White, Meriden, Connecticut, U.S.A. It is made mainly of wood with relief carving, incised decoration, fretwork, turned pillars and handles and 'mouse-proof pedals'. It was normally played by Lieutenant Royds when onboard and was used for both entertainment and for the Sunday religious service.