The equipment was once part of Lowe's Rope and Twine manufactory. The firm was established in 1801. In 1866, new buildings were added and in 1870 the construction of a steam house brought mechanisation to the ropery. The firm's main customers were Kidderminster carpet manufacturers who needed twine, cord and thread. Lowes also supplied pit-ropes to local collieries and made timber-felling ropes and bell ropes.
Lowe's prosperity was helped by government contract work during the First World War. However due to falling demand in the following years the business began to suffer and finally closed in 1972.