Chelmsford was home to the United Kingdom's first electrical engineering works established by Colonel Rookes Evelyn Bell Crompton. He installed electric street lights around the town centre and this made Chelmsford one of the earliest towns to receive electric street lighting. Crompton set up his original factory known as the 'Arc Works' in Queen Street in 1878.
This medallion was made to commemorate the fire that burnt down the factory in 1895. It is made from the lead of the works roof.