This simple cross is made of an early form of plastic. It was carried by nursing pioneer Dorothy Wyndlow Pattison, "Sister Dora", in Walsall. Sister Dora was an Anglican sister who arrived in the town in 1865 to work as a nurse at the cottage hospital. The hospital was overcrowded and understaffed, but her unfailing dedication ensured the death rate among victims of serious accidents in this industrial area was kept lower than that at London's teaching hospitals. Her cross is of interest not only in the field of medicine, but also faith. She prayed with Catholics and Protestants together, at a time when Catholics were despised by the local Protestant majority. Sister Dora was adored and respected by the people of Walsall. The whole town mourned her death and they erected a statue in her honour - the UK's first public statue of a woman not of royal blood.