Common keyboard shortcuts in Windows 7
This page lists the most frequently used keyboard shortcuts in Windows 7. These are useful for people who have difficulty using a mouse or want to reduce the amount they use the mouse.
- F1 - Display the help file for the current programme.
- Alt + letter - Activate the menu represented by a particular letter that is underlined in the menu bar. For example, you can access the 'File' drop-down menu by pressing Alt + F.
- Ctrl + Z - Undo the last action.
- Alt + Tab - Quickly switch between currently running programmes.
- Windows key + D - Show your desktop.
- Windows key + E - Start Windows Explorer.
- Windows key + U - Open the 'Ease of Access Center', so you can change accessibility options on your computer.
- Ctrl + C - Copy selected text/graphics to the clipboard.
- Ctrl + V - Paste text/graphics from the clipboard.
- Ctrl + X - Cut selected text/graphics (a copy is saved to the clipboard).
Note: A more comprehensive list of shortcuts can be found on the Microsoft website: Keyboard shortcuts for Windows.
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.