To enrich people's lives with programmes and services that inform, educate and entertain.
To be the most creative organisation in the world.
- Trust is the foundation of the BBC: we are independent, impartial and honest.
- Audiences are at the heart of everything we do.
- We take pride in delivering quality and value for money.
- Creativity is the lifeblood of our organisation.
- We respect each other and celebrate our diversity so that everyone can give their best.
- We are one BBC: great things happen when we work together.
The BBC is a unique institution, owned by the British people and independent of political and commercial interests.
The BBC's purpose - largely unchanged in 80 years - is to enrich the life of every person in the UK with programmes that inform, educate and entertain.
The BBC is a major force in UK society, contributing through its programmes and services to the quality of life in our society as a whole. But in order to do this successfully, it must be inclusive and also strive to consistently offer value for people as individuals. It should touch people's lives in ways that contribute fundamentally to their individual enjoyment, self-fulfilment and ability to participate in our society.The BBC creates public value in six main ways:
- Sustaining citizenship and civil society: the BBC supports civic life and national debate by providing trusted and impartial news and information that helps citizens make sense of the world and encourages them to engage with it.
- Promoting education and learning: by offering audiences of every age a world of formal and informal educational opportunity in every medium, the BBC helps build a society strong in knowledge and skills.
- Stimulating creativity and cultural excellence: the BBC enriches the UK's cultural life by bringing talent and audiences together to break new ground, to celebrate our cultural heritage, and to broaden the national conversation.
- Reflecting the UK's nations, regions and communities: by enabling the UK's many communities to see what they hold in common and how they differ, the BBC seeks to build social cohesion and tolerance through greater understanding.
- Bringing the UK to the world and the world to the UK: the BBC supports the UK's global role by being the world's most trusted provider of international news and information, and by showcasing the best of British culture to a global audience.
- Delivering to the public the benefit of emerging communications technologies and services: the BBC is a trusted guide to the digital world for the inexperienced or unsure, a safe place to be for the young, a reliable and accurate on-air and online source for the information seeker, and a challenging and involving partner for the more advanced user. The BBC will take a leading role in the switchover to digital television in the UK.
As the broadcast environment evolves - across television, radio and other new and emerging media platforms - and as society changes, the BBC will continue to support how we work and how we play, delivering public value across the range of its content and services.