Roles and responsibilities
- Rhodri has overall editorial and managerial responsibility for BBC Cymru Wales and leads a business with an annual turnover in excess of £150m and which employs 1,200 staff across Wales.
- He is responsible for leading the creative teams which produce more than 15,500 hours of local radio and television content each year and a range of online content.
- He is also responsible for a substantial and growing level of network output.
- He ensures that BBC Wales fulfils its public service broadcasting responsibilities in both English and Welsh.
- Rhodri provides the vision and creative leadership necessary to deliver the BBC Wales portfolio of multiplatform programmes and services and is responsible for maximising public value through creativity, innovation and efficient use of resources.
- Rhodri is a member of the Management Board, UK Forum and UK Network Production Board.
Salary and remuneration
Total remuneration: £167,800
These details were last updated in February 2013 when Rhodri Talfan Davies's salary and remuneration were last adjusted.
Last updated February 2013
Rhodri Talfan Davies was appointed Director of BBC Cymru Wales in July 2011, taking up the post in September 2011. He is a member of the BBC's Management Board chaired by DG, Tony Hall.
Previously, Rhodri was Head of Strategy and Communications at BBC Wales and was responsible for the strategic development of BBC Cymru Wales's portfolio of services - across television, radio and online - as well as running the organisation's marketing, communications and audience research activity.
In 2011, he led a strategic review of the BBC's digital services as part of the 'Delivering Quality First' initiative set up to assess the editorial implications of the 2010 Licence Fee settlement.
Rhodri joined BBC Wales in July 2006 from ntl: Telewest (now known as Virgin Media), where he was the Director of Television Marketing.
Originally from Cardiff, he was educated at Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf, Newcastle's Royal Grammar School and Jesus College, Oxford.
Rhodri began his career as a sub-editor with the Western Mail newspaper in Cardiff before joining the BBC as a news trainee in 1993. Over the next six years, he worked as a news reporter and producer at a number of BBC centres including Newcastle, Manchester and London.
In 1999, he was appointed Head of Regional and Local Programmes at BBC West in Bristol, taking charge of BBC television, online and Local Radio services across the region.
In 2002, Rhodri returned to London as Director of Television at Video Networks, where he led the development and launch of the UK's first on-demand television service, HomeChoice (now known as Talk Talk TV). In 2004, the service won a UK BAFTA for its pioneering interactive and 'catch-up' facilities.
Expenses and central bookings
Expenses are costs incurred by BBC staff on behalf of the BBC and claimed through the BBC's expenses system (e-expenses). Central bookings are costs incurred on behalf of the BBC and booked through the BBC's central bookings system. Both expenses and central bookings are published every three months.
To open a PDF file you need Adobe Reader software, which you can download free via BBC WebWise.
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's e-expenses Q1 2013-14 PDF (59KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's central bookings Q1 2013-14 PDF (44KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's e-expenses Q4 2012-13 PDF (29KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's central bookings Q4 2012-13 PDF (54KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no e-expenses paid in Q3 2012-13
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's central bookings Q3 2012-13 PDF (35KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's e-expenses Q2 2012-13 PDF (47KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's central bookings Q2 2012-13 PDF (39KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's e-expenses Q1 2012-13 PDF (22KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's central bookings Q1 2012-13 PDF (33KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's e-expenses Q4 2011-12 PDF (153KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's central bookings Q4 2011-12 PDF (197KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no e-expenses paid in Q3 2011-12
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's central bookings Q3 2011-12 PDF (258KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no e-expenses paid in Q2 2011-12
- Rhodri Talfan Davies's central bookings Q2 2011-12 PDF (108KB)
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no e-expenses paid in Q1 2011-12
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no central bookings in Q1 2011-12
Gifts and Hospitality Register
Gifts and hospitality may only be accepted in line with BBC policy. Information about gifts and hospitality is published every three months.
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q1 2013-14
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q4 2012-13
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q3 2012-13
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q2 2012-13
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q1 2012-13
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q4 2011-12
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q3 2011-12
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q2 2011-12
- Rhodri Talfan Davies had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q1 2011-12
Declaration of personal interests
Executive Board members must make a declaration of their personal and business interests, including any memberships or directorships of public or industry bodies, and any shareholdings, as well as any interests that their immediate families may also have.
A summary is published where there is something to declare and where there is nothing to declare. Occasionally an individual will have something to declare but due to the personal nature of the declaration we do not publish details as to do so would breach the Data Protection Act.
This information if published annually, although if any amendments are made during the year an updated summary will be published if necessary as soon as it is available.