The Executive Board is responsible for operational management of BBC services.
Senior Staff: BBC North
- Joe is responsible for the overall direction and management of all the BBC's services for children – two channels, CBeebies and CBBC, and their websites.
- Joe's role includes leading the Children's department, including channel controllers and their teams, and the in-house production departments for CBBC and CBeebies TV and online.
- He is accountable for ensuring output is of the highest quality and that the content, style and scheduling for both channels and websites is relevant and appropriate for their target audiences.
- He represents BBC Children's inside and outside the BBC, and is a member of many industry and children's organisations.
- Joe is also a member of the BBC North Board and shares accountability for the effective leadership of the Division.
Salary and total remuneration: June 2012
Total remuneration: £169,400
Last updated May 2010
As Director of BBC Children's, Joe Godwin is responsible for all of the BBC's services for children on BBC One and BBC Two as well as the dedicated CBBC and CBeebies channels and websites.
After reading History at Manchester University, Joe joined the BBC in 1986, working at BBC Southampton in regional news.
In 1989 he joined the Children's Programmes department as a trainee, and worked as an assistant producer, studio director and producer on shows such as Blue Peter, Going Live and Record Breakers.
From 1997 to 2000 he was Editor of Children's Presentation. In 2000 he moved to Nickelodeon UK, holding a number of posts including Head of Original Production and VP Interactive Director.
Joe returned to the BBC in 2005 as Head of Children's Entertainment, and in 2008 became Head of News, Factual & Entertainment.
Joe is Chair of The Network and Fast Track, the youth talent schemes of the Edinburgh TV Festival, and is a member of the BAFTA Children's Committee and the Advisory Panel on Children's Viewing of the British Board of Film Classification; and he is on the Executive Board at the UK Council for Child Internet Safety.
Expenses and central bookings
Expenses are costs incurred by BBC staff on behalf of the BBC and claimed through the BBC's expenses system (e-expenses). Central bookings are costs incurred on behalf of the BBC and booked through the BBC's central bookings system. Both expenses and central bookings are published every three months.
To open a PDF file you need Adobe Reader software, which you can download free via BBC WebWise.
- Joe Godwin's e-expenses Q2 2012-13 PDF (12KB)
- Joe Godwin's central bookings Q2 2012-13 PDF (35KB)
- Joe Godwin's e-expenses Q1 2012-13 PDF (21KB)
- Joe Godwin's central bookings Q1 2012-13 PDF (29KB)
- Joe Godwin's e-expenses Q4 2011-12 PDF (133KB)
- Joe Godwin's central bookings Q4 2011-12 PDF (196KB)
- Joe Godwin's e-expenses Q3 2011-12 PDF (97KB)
- Joe Godwin's central bookings Q3 2011-12 PDF (150KB)
- Joe Godwin's e-expenses Q2 2011-12 PDF (35KB)
- Joe Godwin's central bookings Q2 2011-12 PDF (148KB)
- Joe Godwin's e-expenses Q1 2011-12 PDF (93KB)
- Joe Godwin's central bookings Q1 2011-12 PDF (90KB)
- Joe Godwin's e-expenses Q4 2010-11 PDF (71KB)
- Joe Godwin's central bookings Q4 2010-11 PDF (177KB)
- Joe Godwin's e-expenses Q3 2010-11 PDF (99KB)
- Joe Godwin's central bookings Q3 2010-11 PDF (165KB)
Gifts and Hospitality Register
Gifts and hospitality may only be accepted in line with BBC policy. Information about gifts and hospitality is published every three months.
- Joe Godwin had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q2 2012-13
- Joe Godwin's Gifts and Hospitality Register Q1 2012-13 PDF (29KB)
- Joe Godwin had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q4 2011-12
- Joe Godwin had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q3 2011-12
- Joe Godwin had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q2 2011-12
- Joe Godwin had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q1 2011-12
- Joe Godwin had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q4 2010-11
- Joe Godwin had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q3 2010-11
Declaration of personal interests
Staff must make a declaration of their personal and business interests, including any memberships or directorships of public or industry bodies, and any shareholdings, as well as any interests that their immediate families may also have.
A summary is published where there is something to declare and where there is nothing to declare. Occasionally an individual will have something to declare but due to the personal nature of the declaration we do not publish details as to do so would breach the Data Protection Act.
This information is published annually, although if any amendments are made during the year an updated summary will be published if necessary as soon as it is available.