Looking at what's to come on BBC Three
Roles and responsibilities
- Zai is responsible for the overall direction of BBC Three.
- This includes its strategy, the ideas that are developed and all programmes that are commissioned to be transmitted on BBC Three, both on television and online.
- He also oversees the scheduling of the programmes.
- As creative leader, Zai determines BBC Three's editorial policy, priority, style and presentation based on analyses of target audience needs.
- As part of the Television senior management team, Zai makes a major contribution to the future direction and shape of the overall Television offering in the digital age.
Salary and total remuneration
Total remuneration: £219,900
These details were last updated in June 2012 when Zai Bennett's salary and remuneration were last adjusted.
Last updated April 2011
Zai Bennett is the Controller of BBC Three.
Zai joined the BBC in April 2011 and replaced Danny Cohen, who became Controller BBC One.
He joined from ITV, where he was Director of Digital Channels and Acquisitions. Zai was creative leader responsible for all editorial content on ITV's digital channels; ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 and the CITV channel. Under Zai's stewardship ITV2 had successes with original shows including Celebrity Juice, The Only Way Is Essex and Secret Diary Of A Call Girl with Billie Piper, as well as buying the US X Factor for the channel. ITV3 aired hit original drama Ladies Of Letters and, for ITV4, Zai secured the Indian Premier League, Ashes Highlights as well as Jean Claude Van Damme's Behind Closed Doors. During this time Zai also secured the James Bond and Harry Potter franchises for ITV.
Between 2006 and 2009, Zai was Controller of ITV2, one of the most successful multichannels in the UK. In this period Zai commissioned Katy Brand's Big Ass Show, Peter Andre The Next Chapter and The iTunes Festival. He also brought hit shows Gossip Girl, The Vampire Diaries, Entourage, and American Idol to the channel.
Zai worked at ITV since 1998 in a number of different roles including Head of Programme Strategy, ITV digital channels. Prior to that, he worked on the launch of Channel 5 and started his career at Carlton Television.
Expenses and central bookings
Expenses are costs incurred by BBC staff on behalf of the BBC and claimed through the BBC's expenses system (e-expenses). Central bookings are costs incurred on behalf of the BBC and booked through the BBC's central bookings system. Both expenses and central bookings are published every three months.
To open a PDF file you need Adobe Reader software, which you can download free via BBC WebWise.
- Zai Bennett's e-expenses Q2 2013-14 PDF (12KB)
- Zai Bennett's central bookings Q2 2013-14 PDF (18KB)
- Zai Bennett's e-expenses Q1 2013-14 PDF (28KB)
- Zai Bennett's central bookings Q1 2013-14 PDF (20KB)
- Zai Bennett's e-expenses Q4 2012-13 PDF (18KB)
- Zai Bennett's central bookings Q4 2012-13 PDF (20KB)
- Zai Bennett's e-expenses Q3 2012-13 PDF (14KB)
- Zai Bennett's central bookings Q3 2012-13 PDF (22KB)
- Zai Bennett's e-expenses Q2 2012-13 PDF (27KB)
- Zai Bennett's central bookings Q2 2012-13 PDF (21KB)
- Zai Bennett's e-expenses Q1 2012-13 PDF (21KB)
- Zai Bennett's central bookings Q1 2012-13 PDF (24KB)
- Zai Bennett's e-expenses Q4 2011-12 PDF (79KB)
- Zai Bennett's central bookings Q4 2011-12 PDF (35KB)
- Zai Bennett's e-expenses Q3 2011-12 PDF (98KB)
- Zai Bennett's central bookings Q3 2011-12 PDF (34KB)
- Zai Bennett's e-expenses Q2 2011-12 PDF (106KB)
- Zai Bennett's central bookings Q2 2011-12 PDF (67KB)
- Zai Bennett's e-expenses Q1 2011-12 PDF (54KB)
- Zai Bennett's central bookings Q1 2011-12 PDF (136KB)
- Zai Bennett had no e-expenses paid in Q4 2010-11
- Zai Bennett had no central bookings in Q4 2010-11
Gifts and Hospitality Register
Gifts and hospitality may only be accepted in line with BBC policy. Information about gifts and hospitality is published every three months.
- Zai Bennett had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q2 2013-14
- Zai Bennett had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q1 2013-14
- Zai Bennett had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q4 2012-13
- Zai Bennett had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q3 2012-13
- Zai Bennett had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q2 2012-13
- Zai Bennett had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q1 2012-13
- Zai Bennett had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q4 2011-12
- Zai Bennett's Gifts and Hospitality Register Q3 2011-12 PDF (29KB)
- Zai Bennett's Gifts and Hospitality Register Q2 2011-12 PDF (29KB)
- Zai Bennett had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q1 2011-12
- Zai Bennett had no gifts or hospitality to declare in Q4 2010-11
Declaration of personal interests
Staff must make a declaration of their personal and business interests, including any memberships or directorships of public or industry bodies, and any shareholdings, as well as any interests that their immediate families may also have.
A summary is published where there is something to declare and where there is nothing to declare. Occasionally an individual will have something to declare but due to the personal nature of the declaration we do not publish details as to do so would breach the Data Protection Act.
This information is published annually, although if any amendments are made during the year an updated summary will be published if necessary as soon as it is available.