In the music
- Phil Spector was taken by a demo done by the Ronettes. He then produced their hits Be My Baby - no. 4 in the UK and no. 2 in the US and Baby I Love You. They were the first girl group to have a strong identity with their pictures on their record sleeves.
- Another girl group Spector was involved in was the Crystals whose Da Doo Ron Ron and Then He Kissed Me were big hits in the US and the UK.
- Chuck Berry has two top ten hits with Let It Rock and Memphis Tennessee.
- Legendary jazz vibraphonist Roy Ayers releases his first album, a decade before he turned on to his inimitable (and well-sampled) soul-funk.
- TV - the music show Ready, Steady, Go! goes on the air. During it's time many key black soul artists appear on the show.
- In the US Mary Wells is Motown's most consistent hit-maker for Motown with three top ten hits in a row.
- Bob Marley and the Wailers form. After tuition from the singer Joe Higgs, they start recording with Coxsone Dodd. Their first track, Simmer Down, released just before Christmas 1963 is a huge hit in Jamaica - no. 1 for two months on the JBC Radio chart.
- The Beatles' domination really starts.